Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Asian Style Meat and Potatoes


I got this recipe from Sydney at one of my favorite food blogs, Crepes of Wrath. Everyone in my house loves it. I've shared it with multiple friends and they've all loved it. It's always one of my first go-to meals at the last minute when I realize I have no clue what to make for dinner. I almost always have everything on hand, and as far as the veggies go, I just use whatever we have at the time. I've made it before with broccoli, snow peas, carrots, edamame, eggplant, mushrooms, etc. I leave some stuff from the original recipe out (like red pepper flakes because I'm a wuss) and I tend to put a ton more veggies, but you can play with anyway you want and suit it to your taste. This was also my first time making it with ground pork as I usually just use ground turkey. I'll step-by-step the way I make it and then write out the original recipe at the bottom. You can also find it (and her step-by-step pictures) at the link I posted above.


First, wash, dry, and cube 5 medium potatoes. Toss it in 1 teaspoon peanut oil, 3 teaspoons sesame oil, salt and pepper. Bake at 350 degrees for about 40 - 50 minutes, until potatoes are golden.


While the potatoes are cooking I usually get my veggies ready. This time I used an 8 oz container of mushrooms, sliced...


The last of a bag of baby carrots, sliced...


And some already shelled edamame.


You're also going to need 1 small onion, diced, and 3 cloves of garlic, minced.


And one pound of ground pork (or ground turkey).


When the potatoes are almost done, heat 1 teaspoon of peanut oil and brown the pork.


When the meat is cooked, dump in all your veggies and stir.


You'll need 2 teaspoons white pepper, 2 tablespoons oyster sauce, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, and 1 tablespoon sesame oil for the sauce.


Dump that in with the veggies and stir. Let that cook for about 5 minutes while the sauce reduces a little.


By this time your potatoes should be done and out of the oven. Try not to eat them all while you're cooking the meat. It's very hard.


Dump that in and stir to coat. I like to let it sit for at about 5 minutes before serving so all the flavors soak together.



Asian Style Meat and Potatoes
From Crepes of Wrath

For the Potatoes
5 medium potatoes, cubed
3 teaspoons sesame oil
1 teaspoon peanut oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes

For the Meat
1 pound ground pork
1 bell pepper, sliced
1/2 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 carrot, chopped
2 teapoons white ground pepper
2 tablespoons oyster sauce
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon sesame oil

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Wash and cube your potatoes and toss them in the sesame oil, peanut oil, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Bake for 40-50 minutes, until they are crispy and golden.

2. When the potatoes are almost done, begin to cook the pork over medium-high heat. Heat a drizzle of peanut oil in a large skillet and add the ground pork. Break it up with a wooden spoon as it cooks, and when it is no longer pink, add in your bell pepper, onion, carrot, and garlic. Cook for about 5 minutes, then add in the white pepper, oyster sauce, soy sauce, and sesame oil. Cook for another 5 minutes to allow the sauces to reduce a bit.

3. When the meat is ready, take the potatoes and add them to the skillet. Toss to coat everything well and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment